Prior to the study, a sleep technologist will place sensors on your scalp, face, chest and legs. These sensors will record brainwave activity (to assess sleep stage), eye movements, muscle activity, heart rhythm, body movements, nasal/oral airflow, respiratory effort and oxygenation. In addition, your body position will be observed on video camera.
How to prepare for a successful sleep study:
- Please bathe and have your hair shampooed prior to your arrival. Do not use body lotions, hair spray, hair oils, or any other hair products. All hair weaves, extensions, etc. should be removed prior to your appointment. Make sure all make-up is removed as well.
- Try to avoid taking naps during the day of your sleep study.
- Avoid nonprescription drugs the day of your sleep study. You may take prescribed medications unless your physician instructs you otherwise.
- Eat a light dinner before your arrival.
- Avoid any alcoholic beverages the day of your sleep study.
- Try to avoid any products containing caffeine - coffee, tea, carbonated beverages, chocolate, etc. - the day of your test.
- Bring the following with you to your sleep study:
- Two piece sleeping attire, (for example shorts and T-shirt.)
- A favorite pillow, blanket, etc. if you have one, but we have plenty.
- Any prescription medications you would need to take at night.
WE DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO STAY WITH YOU UNLESS YOU ARE UNDER THE AGE OF 18